Geographic codes lookup provides convenient and definitive tables of commonly used geographic codes (mostly FIPS) organized by state for the U.S.
MABLE/Geocorr - one of the MCDC's oldest and most frequently accessed web applications. Lets you generate geographic correspondence files showing how geographic areas overlap (e.g. how ZIP codes relate with counties and/or school districts.) This post-2010-census version ("geocorr12") has the current geography. We also maintain two earlier versions of the application: geocorr2k has post-2000-census geography, while geocorr90 is still useful for researchers wanting to look at the geography of the 1990's.
Geographic Reference Reports from the Missouri Census Data Center. This is where you'll find the PUMA reference reports and lots of other good stuff.
Guide to 2010 Census State and Local Geography - Missouri (see below - 2010 Guide... for link that lest you access a comparable page for any state.)
PUMAs (Public Use Microdata Areas). Excellent overview with links to just about anything you'll need to know about these increasingly important geographic entities.
All About Census Geography and Summary Levels . Good overview of Census Geography with special emphasis on summary levels and SumLev codes as used on census summary files.
The ZIP Code Resources Page (aka "All About ZIP Codes") - Provides general information and links to tools and resources related to U.S. ZIP Codes / ZCTAs. The companion piece, All About ZIP Codes: 2010 Supplement provides additional information specific to the 2010 ZCTAs.
The websas/display_zctamaster web application lets you display the zcta_master data for a specified ZIP/ZCTA code. Just type in a ZIP code and hit Enter to get a report telling you the state(s), county(s), place(s), PUMA(s), metro area, congressional district, etc. You will also see about 25 key indicators for the ZIP (ZCTA) based on the latest (2008-2012 as this is written) ACS data. If you enter a ZIP code that is not a ZCTA the application will attempt to look up your ZIP code in a table to get the ZCTA equivalency, and will then display data for that ZCTA. .
The websas/display_pumamaster web application is a cousin to display_zctamaster. It lets you display the puma_master data for a specified 2010 ("2012") PUMA.
Generate a ZIP Code Directory - Pick a state and get a directory showing all ZIP codes, not just the standard kind corresponding to ZCTAs.
Circular Area Profiles (CAPS) Dynamic n-mile radius reports based on popular demographic data for any location in US. There are actually 3 versions of CAPS:
Google geomap. This handy tool from the folks at Google allows you to enter an address anywhere in the U.S. and have it mapped for you and provide the latitude-longitude coordinates of the address. (Referenced by our CAPS applications).
Online address geocoders are discussed and linked to as part of the Usage Notes page that comes with the CAPS application.
Other MCDC Maps/Mapping/Geography-Related Applications/Sites
- MAGGOT File - 2012 - the latest revised version of this venerable (since 1996) geographic reference tool. MAGGOT is an auxiliary help file that is linked to from our MABLE/Geocorr12 web application (see above). It provides background information on a wide array of geographic coverages - namely, those used in the MABLE database. "MAGGOT" is an acronym for Master Area Geographic Glossary of Terms. There are also 07 and 09 versions (just edit the URL, replacing the "12") for those who prefer less current information.
- Census Tract 2010 Maps - Missouri County Base Maps [115 pdf files]
Metropolitan/Micropolitan, Urban/Rural, and Public Use Microdata areas
- Geography Main Page
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Codes
- 2010 Guide to State and Local Census Geography
- 2010 Geographic Terms and Concepts.
- American Community Survey Geography page showing which geographic levels are getting 1-year, 3-year and 5-year estimates (for latest vintage data).
- Maps and Cartographic Products
- Census Bureau Map Products - this page is more current than the previous link. Use this link to get to reference (i.e. base) maps for entities such as metro areas (CBSAs), PUMAs, UAs, census tracts, etc.
- Geographic Change Notes for any state in the U.S.
- U.S. Gazetteer files for congressional districts, places, counties, county subdivisions, census tracts, American Indian areas, school districts, state legislative districts, urban areas, and ZIP Code tabulation areas (ZCTAs), various vintages updated annually. These are the source of gazteer filetype in the MCDC data archive.
- Geographic area Tallies - this is where you can find out how many areas of a certain type were used in the 2000 and 2010 censuses. For example, the number of census blocks, block groups and census tracts by state with national totals.
- The official definition of Urban (vs. Rural) for 2010 (current).
- Census Glossary (search for geographic keywords).